Sunday, July 15, 2012

False Alarm!

I had a checkup on Friday (one day before my 37 week mark) and the doctor told me I was 1cm dilated and 60 percent effaced.  Everything was good.  Friday night at about 10:30 I started to have stomach cramps.  I thought it was something I ate but then I started to notice the cramping was coming in regular intervals.  I called Jason and he was on his way home from helping Justin at the race track.  I told him I couldn't get comfortable and was getting concerned.  I downloaded a contraction timer on my phone...there's an app for that!  We never needed it before because my water broke before any contractions started with Nash and Nolan.  I think I was only able to get about a 10 minute nap and was too uncomfortable to sleep any more than that.  They finally got to between 3 and 5 minutes apart and were lasting 1 to 1.5 minutes on average.  About 3:30 am I couldn't take it any more.  I called the doctor and told him about my earlier appt.  He said, "Oh, you have a ways to go!"  Thanks doctor.  He recommended that I go in to the hospital because I was so uncomfortable.  I called my brother and he came to stay with the boys.  When the nurse checked me at the hospital I was still only 1cm.  She said it didn't seem like true labor because I wasn't advancing, but I have to tell you, it felt like it!  They hooked baby and I up to the monitors so they could keep an eye on things.  Hiccups heart rate was strong and steady the whole time we were there.  They tried giving me an injection to stop the contractions but it didn't help.  They decided to try giving my IV fluids thinking I was dehydrated.  That didn't help the contractions much either.  They could tell on the monitor that I was having them but they weren't exactly sure why.  I laid there in that extremely uncomfortable triage bed until 10am when they finally gave me some me some morphine (which was amazing) and I was able to get some rest.
The beautiful view from my very uncomfortable bed.
The doctor did not want to send me home having contractions because of my past c-section.  They checked me again and I was still at 1cm.  They let me rest for a while and then decided to get a urine sample.  They determined I was dehydrated and had a UTI which was causing my contractions.  They finally sent me home around 1pm.  Contractions were better but not completely gone.  I am now on an antibiotic for the next 10 days and drinking a ton of water.  My sister and parents took the boys for the afternoon yesterday and the boys stayed at my parents overnight so we could get some rest.  Apparently Jason didn't sleep well in the triage room chair or on the waiting room couch.  I am feeling better today other than a bit of a headache.  I'm really trying hard to rest.  So here I am...sitting on the couch blogging and waiting for my little energizer bunnies to come home.  Hopefully the next 2.5 weeks sail by smoothly until c-section time.

No comments:

Post a Comment