Friday, May 31, 2013

MS Walk 2013

You may remember a previous post when I mentioned a couple of curveballs in 2012.  Curveball number 1: We learned some new information about my health.  I had been having some weird symptoms since March of 2011.  A more recent round of testing suggested what I had been suspicious of since the start.  My neurologist informed me I probably had MS.  I know, a huge shock to most!  Last August, Nyle was just 20 days old when my feet started going numb.  The numbness quickly climbed up my body to my rib cage.  SCARY!  I went through another round of testing and MRIs.  I had these tests back in April of 2011 after my very first signs but nothing showed up.  This time the testing was consistent with signs of MS.  My neurologist diagnosed me with transverse myelitis which is basically like a single attack.  I had a series of steroid infusions which I didn't think really helped at the time.  In January I decided to start on daily injections to decrease the number of exacerbations and slow the progression of MS.  Unfortunately I had another flare up in February which was very much like the one in August.  This time I decided to wait on the infusions.  My numbness got worse and I felt like I was walking on gravel.  I also noticed my balance was getting worse and decided to get another series of steroid infusions.  This time my symptoms started getting better the very first week.  Since then my symptoms have been well controlled.  I started taking vitamin D and I have been pretty serious about a gluten free diet for at least 6 months now.  I feel good.  I have a little bit of numbness on the bottom of my feet and my abdomen is pretty numb.  My symptoms tend to come out a little more after I exercise and when I'm hot.  Overall, I feel great and I feel SO fortunate that I feel the way I do.  And I have the most amazing support group of family and friends.  My friend Tosha texted me a bible verse shortly after my tests came back last fall.  It gave me peace and got me through that dark time quicker than I ever knew possible.  Isaiah 41:13  For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you 'Do not fear, I will help you.'  Are you kidding me?  How can I be scared when God is on my team?

I was sitting at the infusion center the first week of May when I looked down at the lab order in my hand and noticed the doctor had officially diagnosed me with Multiple Sclerosis.  I felt a weird feeling of relief actually.  In my heart I already knew I had it, and now I felt like I could do something I had been thinking of doing for a while.  Until I saw that diagnosis, I didn't feel that I could tell my whole story.  I wanted to get a team together for Walk MS.  But first, I had to "come out of the closet" so to speak.  Up to this point, only my family and a few close friends knew.  I decided I could either keep it to myself, or I could use my story to help other people.  I am a physical therapist, so I have worked with several patients with MS over the last 9 years.  I felt I had a great opportunity to encourage others.  On March 20th, I told my boss and on May 1st, 2013, I posted my personal story on Facebook and started to raise money and recruit team members for the MS Walk.  I entered my goal of raising $200 for the walk.  I thought this was a good amount for my first one.  Well, I have absolutely amazing, generous people in my life and God is good!  With the help of my kids, we named our team 'MS Avengers.'  On May 18th, our team of over 35 Avengers walked 3 miles to stomp out MS and raised over $5000!  Amazing!
Nash and Maddox

Jason and I with our Little Avengers: Nolan, Nash and Nyle


Me and my mom

Avengers

Avengers

Avengers

Me and my sis

My dad and I

Caelen, Erin (college roomie) and I


Andrea, me and Laura

Jen, me and Riley

Me, Jason and Nyle

Jessica, Beau, Gia and me

Kaden, Kelly, Me, Jen, Harper, Leah and Shauna

Mom and Linda

MS Avengers
What a success!  Planning to do it again next year!
I do not plan to make this blog about my MS.  But it is a part of my life now.  I really wanted to post about our big, successful weekend and say thank you to all who walked and/or donated to this cause.  THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment