Thursday, May 20, 2010

Time flies!

I am WAY behind on my blogging!  So sorry!  Let me get you up to speed...
Nolan is getting more and more interactive.  On May 11th, he started splashing in the tub for the first time.  (This just happens to be his Uncle Than's birthday as well.)  He's reaching and grabbing for things.  He rolled from back to front for Nana the other day (May 12th) but has not done it again since.  He's still very shy about showing off his tricks.  He teases us by grabbing his toes and rolling over to one side but doesn't roll completely over on a regular basis.  We've been practicing sitting up and he will sit for a few seconds then decide to push himself backward.  He really likes being upright so he can see what his big brother is doing!  Today he ate applesauce for the first time...big smiles!


Oh, and I almost forgot.  This is pretty exciting!  Just a little over a week ago, he dropped his 9pm feeding.  Here is an example of our schedule on a day that I work...Nolan wakes up sometime around 6:30 or 7.  He nurses around 7:30 and has a little bit of oatmeal.   (Lately we've been skipping the oatmeal and giving him prunes though.)  He takes a good nap in the morning.  He has a 7 oz bottle of breast milk around 12:30 along with some baby veggies.  He naps again in the afternoon.  He nurses again around 5:30 and eats rice cereal or another vegetable.  Then he goes to bed around 8pm or so.  He might wake up one or two times during the night but I just give him back his pacifier and his little blue blanket and he goes right back to sleep.  On days that I don't work, the schedule is the same except he nurses for his noon feeding instead of having a bottle.  Nursing is still going well.  I am starting to get a little tired of pumping while I am at work.  I have to find a secluded parking spot somewhere and set up shop in my van and hope that I remembered all of the necessary equipment including the cooler and ice pack.  I also have to remember to leave a few extra minutes in my schedule which is difficult to do sometimes.  It's worth it though and I'm still trying to make my goal of 7 months.  I have a freezer full of extra bags of milk that I have stored up too so that should help.  I have even looked into donating breast milk for premature babies through the University of Iowa.  They have a drop off spot in Davenport where I could take it but I would have to donate a minimum of 200 ounces of milk during the first year of lactation.  That sounds like quite a bit of milk but I'm sure it would add up quickly.  They also have other rules that I'm not sure I have followed including no over the counter medication.  I was taking tylenol cold medicine for quite a while at one point.  We'll see.  200 ounces!?

No comments:

Post a Comment