Saturday, September 10, 2011

Labor Day Bike Ride Marathon

When Jason and I decided to rejoin the YMCA several weeks ago, we decided we would go every Monday and Thursday.  This has been working out really well so far.  This past Monday, however, was Labor Day and the gym was closed.  I had this great idea to barrow our friends' bike trailers and hit the bike path with the boys.  The weather was nice and cool.

We parked the truck and Jason and I each had a kid in tow.  We rode through a wooded area then it broke out into the open and the path went right along the river.  It was so pretty.  It felt really nice to be outside with my family while getting exercise at the same time.  We went quite a ways and in the back of my head I kept thinking, "OK, remember we still have to make it back to the truck."  My legs felt good so I wasn't really worried.
The boys having a goldfish cracker snack

Me and my boys watching the geese
We eventually came upon a playground area and the boys REALLY wanted to get out and play.  But we realized there was a group taking family pictures and decided they probably didn't want us in them.  The boys were a little upset but I told them we would stop at the next one.  Well, that was a little further away than I thought it would be.  In fact, we never did come to one.  We started to get into a business area so we finally turned around.  This is when I quickly realized that we had been blessed with a gentle tailwind so far which had now turned into a hellacious HEADWIND!  UGH.  We eventually made it back to the playground where I was so happy to take a break for a while.
Nash

Nolan

Nash ready for take off
The boys climbing through the rope web
I had packed a few snacks and I think I ate 75 percent of it and shared the other 25 percent with Jason and the boys.  Apparently biking makes me hungry.  This is where it gets really embarrassing.  Jason had to pull both boys in his trailer leaving me with an empty trailer because I couldn't handle the extra weight.  He told me they would lead so he could block the wind for me.  When they got about a quarter of a mile ahead of me, I realized I wasn't really getting the advantage I had hoped for.  I think twice I got off my bike and walked because I thought my quadriceps were going to spontaneously start on fire!  It was brutal.  At one point Jason and the boys turned around and biked back to me.  Nash yells out to me, "Mom!  What's the problem?"  I was able to work up a laugh despite feeling like I might throw up.  I seriously was not sure I could make it back to the truck.  There were no gears low enough on the bike to make my legs feel better while pedaling.  Eventually we made it out of the wind and things started looking up.  When we finally made it back to the parking lot, he boys wanted to spend some time at the playground.
Noley Bear

Nash Tiger
Super Nolan
I tried to follow them around to take some pictures but the stairs were a killer on my burnt out legs.  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get out of bed the next day.  Surprisingly my legs felt fine but my saddle was a little sore.  Next time I will check the direction of the wind first.  A tailwind on the second half of the ride would be very beneficial!

No comments:

Post a Comment